Friday, February 11, 2011

Make a Dutch Oven Part of Your Preparedness Survival Kit

These cast iron implements can be priceless!
During virtually any emergency, you will need a cooking tool that can bake, boil, fry and saute. And it should be able to function  with a variety of  heat sources, since electricity might be a variable!
My nomination for this wonder implement has been around for hundreds of years. It’s easy to find, cheap and effective.  Get a cast iron or aluminum Dutch oven. This cooking tool has a proven track record, and it can use virtually any heat source.
But you also need a bare bones list of implements to go with that Dutch oven. The most common questions asked by beginner Dutch oven users are: "What things do I need to actually use the oven?"
And then: "What items should I pack with the Dutch oven if I want to make it part of my car evacuation kit?" Here is what you need!

1 comment:

Bill Giles said...

Got a bunch of dutch ovens in my stuff. Cast iron in 10 and 12" and GSI hard anodized aluminum in 10 through 14". I prefer the cast iron for cooking, but get acceptable results from my aluminum.